As patients begin visiting your medical practice this year using health insurance they obtained through the new federal health care marketplace, you need to be prepared.
Use this checklist, jointly created by the American Medical Association (AMA) and the Medical Group Management Association (MGMA), to help manage the challenges of exchange implementation via the Affordable Care Act (ACA).
The checklist outlines these steps:
- Double-checking whether your practice’s physicians are participating with ACA exchange products
- Determining your practice’s ability to accept new patients
- Training office staff who speak with callers and patients
- Checking patient eligibility, coinsurance, deductibles, and copays
- Being prepared to discuss out-of-pocket expenses and the cost of care with patients
- Knowing the essential health benefits
The Pennsylvania Medical Society has several resources to assist patients and physicians and is developing new resources to help meet our members’ needs with the ACA.